Sunday, October 3, 2010

Star Wars in 3-D... Really?


Think about it. The movie franchise that hit the world with old mythical stories set in space is now converting their movies into 3-D and re-releasing them. I am excited for the re-releasing but do they have to make it in 3-D? I've always wanted to be able to watch the Star Wars movies on the big screen because I wasn't there for the original ones and I'll finally get that wish granted in 2012 when The Phantom Menace comes out in theaters. I can not say I am completely against 3-D, but I am against 3-D in movies that were not made for it. A good example of this is Clash of the Titans, which wasn't good in 3-D or 2-D (but I'll save my complaints about it for some other day). I know that Lucas Films and Industrial Light & Magic are going to be hard at work to make the movie look good and feel natural but I'll believe it when I see it. It has not been released that they will be re-releasing all the movies but I'm pretty sure how much press they get for this movie and how many people come and see it will decide whether or not they will re-release the other movies. They are hoping for a gold mine in this re-release and I think they will find it if the 3-D looks natural. This will also introduce Star Wars to a new generation of fans-to-be.

In other Star Wars news, several sites have found what might be proof that Chewie and the other Wookies aren't from George Lucas' imagination but from the minds of George R.R. Martin and his illustrator John Shoenherr. Martin wrote a story called And Seven Times Never Kills Man! that was published with illustrations of aliens depicted in the story in a magazine during July 1975. Less than a year later Lucas comes to his conceptual artist Ralph McQuarrie with the same illustrations, claiming they were from the 1930's. There was not much changed from the drawings and creatures and I doubt anything will be filed against Lucas now. They have already had a long enough period of time to get a trial against Lucas, but you never know. Something might just happen...

This is a comparison of Shoenherr's drawings with McQuarrie's.


No comments:

Post a Comment